Saturday, June 26, 2010

Wednesday, 6.23: American Girl in Britain

I have mentioned a few times that MEDASSET is a fairly small nonprofit organization, and so it depends on money from generous donors. To celebrate these donors and encourage more support, the association hosts a semi-annual benefit dinner for them. It is usually held at the Yacht Club in Piraeus, but because of some details that I didn't catch, it was relocated to the British Embassy in Greece. It was thus, that I stepped foot in Britain for the first time and immediately noticed all the fanciness.

A guard stands at the gate to the Embassy. He's Greek, and not wearing one of those ridiculously tall hats, but still a little imposing. I'm on the list so I pass by him pretty easily, but there are still a set of metal detectors waiting on the other side of the gate. I walk up the marble steps to the embassy and am greeted by a portrait of the Queen. Yes, that Queen. A younger Queen to be sure, but the regal air is all there.

Before entering the grand ballroom, the guests check in at the front table and the ladies are greeted with a little gift (I think it's some sort of charm but they're packaged so I can't tell). There are three rooms full of tables, and before each seat, a small bottle of Jo Malone Cologne in a Pomegranate scent. The guests arrive a couple at a time, the ladies in dress suits or formal gowns with big jewelry and brooches, then gentlemen in suits (one was in a silk suit. Goodness.). The whole situation made me glad that I had brought my formal dress with me.

So I filmed the Ambassador's wife giving her speech, as well as the keynote speaker, made a few pans around the room and, after everyone else had gotten their food, started eating like no other. It was the best buffet I had ever eaten. Four kinds of meat (pineapple glazed pork, a beef dish, a lamb dish, a chicken dish); paella, risotto; Mexican tuna salad and two other salads; and much more epicness. And with nothing else to do, I ate and ate and ate. Then came this raffle where the MEDASSET volunteers passed around little boxes with charms in them and as the patrons ate dessert, a fashion show began, with models walking around the tables in their dresses. It was a bit awkward but the dessert was so good (chocolate log, brie cut into cheesecake-like slices, lemon mousse, various fruits) that it didn't really matter. And again, I just ate and ate and ate.

I helped clean up afterwards and was a little sad I couldn't take any photos in the embassy. However, we did have a professional photographer there and he took this one really good group photo. There's everyone! Except for Liza, who had to leave early.



Awww look at everyone all smiley. Even Kostis looks all goofy. :)

Rockin' it like a Brit,

Angela

2 comments:

  1. You should post more food pr0n of your gastronomic exploits. Also, your picture above doesn't work, at least for me. Fix please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't take any pictures of food pr0n because of the restrictions on taking pictures at the Embassy, although I totally would have because it was absolutely fantastic. That being said, the picture above totally does work. Try again.

    ReplyDelete