Monday, July 19, 2010

Sunday 7.18: This has got to be the good life.

I was going to go to Sunday services but a good night's sleep was something that I needed so much more. So instead, I went to Syntagma and watched the Changing of the Guard. We actually got relegated across the street because there were too many people watching [on Sundays there's more of a procession], so I didn't get a picture of the actual changing, which involved a lot of high steps with elaborate costuming, but I did get a video of the band playing and the rest of the guard marching behind them. At one point, one of the guys in the back tripped and fell, but I'm not sure if I got that on tape.

It's definitely an experience that one should see if one comes to Athens, a cool ceremonial thing. Although their hats aren't as cool as the British ones, their entire costumes are pretty cool. Although, it is a little sad that they have to stand in the heat, motionless, in stockings.

11. Watch the changing of the guard in front of the Parliament.

Shivani and I then hit Plaka and Monastiraki and did a bunch of gift shopping, which made me very happy. It's nice finding the things you're looking for. I really only have 4 people left to buy for so that makes my life a whole lot easier even if I don't have any more time, really. I usually don't mind spending money on people I care about because I don't spend a lot of money on myself. We walked around for a long while, and finally sat down to lunch on souvlaki row. And the waiter gave us roses. For free. We looked around and no one else had roses, but he gave them to us, so we took them. It was a very nice gesture and we both perked up after our long shopping trip.


After a quick kip, we met up with Marj and headed over to the ancient Agora, the marketplace of ancient Greece. Some of our comrades work here during the day, digging in the trenches and washing pottery, so I never really thought much of it as a place to go visit, even though I knew I should. I should have also known better by now, but every time I think "Oh it's just another ruin, you see one, you've seen them all," I get floored by something awesome. In this case, several things. First, the totally reconstructed Stoa of Atalas. It's such a long building, kind of like a horizontal skyscraper.
And inside was the Agora museum, where there were some pretty awesome things. Such as:

A GIANT bronze shield. [I bough some bronze items to give as gifts, so I know a little bit of how heavy bronze items are, so I am still wondering how people carried these shields] (Shivani miming someone carrying one)

A bronze head of Nike


Pieces of pottery that people used to ostracize politicians [they would vote to exile the politician with the most power for 10 years, after which they could return to Athens. Most decided just to leave for good]

And, a training potty!

We then saw a Byzantine church and moved on to the Middle Stoa, which was the biggest building in the Agora. Unfortunately, none of it is left, but Shivani and I found the remains of a column to make ourselves higher.


Finally, the building the Agora is most well known for: the Temple of Hephestus, the best preserved temple in Greece. And it was.

 As far as I know, this was not a reconstruction, although there is scaffolding there to keep the building from falling down. Any traces of monuments to Hephestus are long gone, but it's kind of awesome to see an actual temple still standing. Me, for scale.

On the way home, we saw parts of the Roman Agora, what we could see from the outside at least. What's the difference, you ask? Well, the Roman Agora was built by, you guessed it, the Romans! They had some cool stuff too, like the Tower of the Winds, which personified each of the eight winds.
As the sun set, we decided to forgo trying to cook and got delicious Sweet Chili Cashew Noodles from NoodleBar and decided to do a movie. Unfortunately, the sun sets at 9:00 here and the movie we wanted to watch was Troy, so we nomed it down and watched half of the movie [and saw the other half tonight, Monday]. The thing about Troy, though it's a great movie, is that it inspires a great sadness in me, due to its tragic roots. I love the character of Hector [Eric Bana doesn't hurt either]; he's such a noble guy, ready to do the right thing for his country, ready to stand by his brother, a man for his kingdom and his family. And with one mistake by an arrogant boy, he dies.  And having read the Iliad, I know he dies, and that just makes it all the more sad, when good people get bested by Fate. Darn Greeks and their darn good tragedies. And of course, I want to hate Achilles, but I really can't [and it's not just because of Brad Pitt], because he too is partially redeemed by love. Sure, he's got anger issues, but they can't be cured in a day, and he does lament for desecrating Hector's body. Sigh.

Pensive,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment